April 18, 1931 during the meeting, Supreme Council of National Economy decided to allocate appropriations for the construction of a new silica plant in the town of Grishino, now Krasnoarmeisk, with capacity of 130 000 tones of normal and open-hearth products a year on the basis of the detected cement quartzite in the towns of Ocheretino, Yasinovataia, and Dobropolie. Construction of the silica plant - one of 518 companies at that time, being one of the super-construction projects of the first five-year plan - began on August 1, 1931.
Krasnoarmeisk Silica Brick Plant of Dzerzhinsky was commissioned on July 18, 1934
At the end of 1934, 16 392 tons of refractories for the first metallurgical furnaces were produced.
Plan of production in 1935 was performed at the level of 102.5%, 1680 tons were produced over the plan.
During 1936, the plant increased production by 47.5% more than in 1935.
Year 1937 was a record for the productivity of all of the pre-war years. Production output almost reached the design capacity; 123,177 tons of refractories were produced. Output per worker amounted to 119 tons per year, which reached higher peak only in 1953. The number of workers reached 1035 people. The production plan was performed on the level of 101%. 1938-1940 - by this time, the plant was equipped with new equipment, three mills operated there, milling was carried out on 6-of grinding runners, transportation of powders was produced by means of tape transporters, the mass was prepared in 10 mixers, refractories were pressed at five revolving presses, and especially difficult - manually by tamping. The outbreak of the World War II on June 22, 1941 interrupted production activities of the silica plant.
In September 1943, divisions of the glorious Soviet Army liberated Donbass region. Work on the plant’s restoration started. The recovery lasted for seven years. Over the years from 1946 to 1952, the plant increased output by more than 6 times, labor productivity in monetary terms was increased by more than 10 times the gross output increased to 5,400 thousand rubles in comparison to 150 thousand rubles in 1946. 1953 - 1954 are years of searching for reserves for increasing productivity, improving work organization. As a result of reconstruction works carried out in the postwar period, an essentially new company was established. In 1955 -1957 the plant was completed and new tunnel kilns number 1 and number 2 were commissioned.
In 1958 the plant team mastered production of caisson and chrome-magnesia products. In the area of new technology, plant started production of lightweight silica brick, silica-chromites for nozzles, high-density coking silica brick for glass furnaces.
In 1959, the plant team overworked the new capacity of the plant in the amount of 210 thousand tons, and produced over 220 tons of high-quality refractories.
In 1962, the plant team successfully mastered production of magnesia-chromite arched products; the technology of silica products based on clean natural quartz sand grain was mastered too.
In 1963, production of zircon glasses for the continuous casting of steel was started.
In the IV quarter of 1971, the technology of firing silica products for natural gas in tunnel kilns was mastered.
In the 80s, Krasnoarmeisk Silica Brick Plant became a large modern enterprise, producing silica, chromite-periclase and zircon refractories. All products were certified to the highest and first categories of quality. Products with the plant name were supplied to more than 700 consumers in our country, as well as in Hungary, India, Czechoslovakia, Algeria, Nigeria, Pakistan, Iran, Cuba, Egypt, and others.
In 1987, a special committee chaired by the Director of the plant was established. There were developed organizational and economic measures aimed at implementation of internal production reserves. The principle of sustainability and profitability became the law of life of those people working at the plant. Providing a dynamic revenue growth and implementation of capital improvements on this basis was a key point to the team.
Raising the technical level of production reduced the cost of commercial products – in 1987, it enabled the plant to receive total savings of 40,500 rubles. Further development and improvement of metallurgical production required change of products range.
In the same 1987, there started the development of new types of refractory products: unburned biceramic refractories for cup-collectors for industrial complex "Krivorozhstal", unburned silica for repair of coke oven batteries. An experimental industrial batch of zircon-baddeleyite cups was produced.
The introduced technology saved precious scarce raw materials (zircon concentrate), eliminating such a time consuming process as the manufacture of briquettes, respectively, increasing productivity and getting twice the economic impact of 100 thousand rubles per year.
The technology co-fine grinding of quartzite from the dross was implemented. Due to this, defects through fractures fell by 30% and reduced losses from defects to 75 thousand rubles. A new installation for packaging style coke and hot air silica in shrink film was mastered. Its economic effect amounted to 30,000 rubles per year. Cutting machines for the metal strip linking products in packages were produced and implemented.
Today, PJSC "Krasnoarmeisk Silica Brick Plant" is a modern enterprise, producing a wide range of silica refractory products used in various industrial environments metallurgical, glass, and jewelry, industrial, engineering and other industries. Work on the production technology of new refractory materials is ongoing. The plant successfully mastered manufacture of refractory, silica products and general merchandise for the masonry hearth, hot air, electric steel furnaces, silica-chromite refractories, insulating lightweight refractories, unburned quartzite refractories used for lining steel-teeming ladles and pig iron, refractories for continuous casting of steel, aggregates and quartzite mixtures for refractory concrete, refractory products for masonry silica glass, coke ovens, production of silica powder filler for molding compounds for casting jewelry. The plant also manufactures silica refractory mortar used for laying silica refractories in thermal units.